Thursday, March 22, 2012

Font Day 1: Bas Cuvier Bouldering

For our first day climbing in Fontainebleau I wanted to go to the area with a reputation for being the hardest- Cuvier. I figured that getting my ass kicked the first day out will make every other day feel easier by comparison. Also, I couldn't track down a pad so I wanted to go somewhere I thought might be busy enough to bum pads off people, but that didn't really happen. The one time I was offered a pad by someone it was a really nice Scottish guy, but I thought he was offering me "maps" and not "mats". Oh well...

We started out on some really challenging slabs. The first one I tried I got pretty easily but the next three problems shut me down. I had no idea what climbs or grades I was on- I was just out for fun and exploration. Bas Cuvier is a very popular and old area where most of the foot holds have been polished glass-smooth. The natural rock color is grey, so since the polished rock turns a light color, my approach has been to avoid those areas for feet. This works pretty good some times but definitely not on all problems.

After this introduction to the area, I started looking for some harder stuff. I learned later (via Bleau.info) what I was actually climbing. I tried a cool little sit start roof problem that took me a few tries to get but I couldn't figure out its name. Then at the recommendation of a Scottish couple we were talking to I jumped on a couple blue circuit problems both rated 4a or so. After trying and failing at a few 7a's, I jumped on Fissure Morin 4a which was a very fun problem. Between Fissure Morin and the Helicopter boulder there was a cool little 6a problem with a steep sit start on pockets and a slopey mantle on rock features the Scottish guy was calling "Dragon Back". After a few attempts (and scoping out the holds from above) I managed to get up it.

These were all fairly challenging for the grade but not unlike what I've grown accustom to in the US, grade-wise. The Font grading system covers more grades below V0 than just VB, so everything below about 4a is suppose to be in the VB range. 4a - 4c is suppose the be V0. 5abc is V1-3. 6abc is V4-6, and 7a meets up with our V7. I've found that the lower grades can be really challenging, and many that should be VBs or V0s (3a - 4a) often feel like V2 or V3. This seems to be a common observation with the area. 7a definitely seems to be the grade that I really have to work hard on, and success would take multiple sessions, which was my expectation.

Here are a few othe problems I tried and failed at: Cortomaltese 7a (I came really close!), L'Hélicoptere 7a, Holey Moley 7a, Le Carnage 7b+, and Charcuterie 7a. Other than Cortomaltese, I wasn't even close on the others.

[Note: Bad WiFi means pictures will have come later. Included links show soe of the climbs though.]

 

 

5 comments:

  1. This is all French to me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, Cass, once we finish up climbing, I will be back posting about food and culture again :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. My French sucks so I'm surprised it sounds THAT good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You forgot your ladder?

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want to be prepared for the zombie apocalypse. I am working under the assumption that higher grounds will be the safest since zombies should be too stupid to climb...we will see!

      Delete